This is one of those recipes, if you can even call it a recipe, that I wish I’d known about a long time ago. It’s also a money saver, a work out and an awesome rainy day activity.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp salt
- Fill an empty jar half full with heavy whipping cream and screw the lid on tight. Turn up your music and roll up your sleeves
- Shake like nobody's business for about 20-25 minutes
- You'll see the butter separate from the buttermilk (trust me, you really need to shake!)
- Use a strainer to separate the butter from the buttermilk
- Rinse the butter under cold running water for 1-2 minutes to remove excess milk (this will also make it last longer in your fridge)
- Knead in the salt if desired
- Save in an airtight container in your fridge
- Save the buttermilk for homemade ranch, biscuits, muffins, etc!
What you’ll need:
- An empty jar (reuse peanut butter, pasta sauce or jam jars!!)
- Heavy whipping cream
- Small strainer
- 20 minutes
- Pump up tunes
Good to know:
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream will make 1/2 cup of butter (the other 1/2 cup will be buttermilk
How the magic happens:
2. Shake…….keep shaking……..no, really keep shaking…..
4. Keep going…..you should be breaking out into a light sweat by now; arms getting toned. Attempt some ab tightening and maybe throw in a few squats for a full body workout here…..you’ll need it because you’re about to eat straight butter.
6. Pour the buttermilk out into a separate container; save it if you want for other recipes! Drop the butter out into a strainer with small holes. Rinse the butter under cold water until the water runs clear. This is to get the excess milk off of it which helps it to last longer in your fridge.
Now go warm up a piece of fresh bread and spread on the butter! You earned it! Bonus: nothing goes in your trash. You get some serious sustainability points with this one.